Rhinelander man burned by downed power line
A 30-year-old Rhinelander man remains at the burn unit at UW-Madison Hospital after an incident Thursday afternoon in the town of Schley according to the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department.
Just after 2 p.m., the town of Russell Fire Department was sent to State Rd 17 near Lecks Lane after motorists reported that a tree had become entangled in electrical wires and started on fire.
When Russell Firefighters arrived on the scene, they found the 30-year-old male, who appeared to be seriously injured, standing near the pole.
A Deputy arrived and requested an ambulance who eventually transported the man to Aspirus Wausau Hospital. From there the man was transferred by helicopter to UW-Madison Hospital.
According to the report, the Deputy who investigated the incident suspects the man stopped to check on the burning tree and was electrocuted by a downed wire.
A Deputy also found open containers of alcohol in the man’s vehicle and he showed signs of impairment. Pending the results of a blood test the man may face a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated second offense. He remains in serious but stable condition at UW Hospital.