Hodags break FIVE swim records
Star Journal report
Great Northern Conference foes Lakeland and Rhinelander faced off Thursday in the virtual conference meet determining All Conference swimmers. Three other conference schools hosted meets as well with final tabulations yet to be determined as to first, second and honorable mention honors for swimmers.
The Hodags broke numerous records during the meet beginning with the first two events, in which five records were broken.
- The foursome of Lisa Kennedy, Noelle St. Pierre, Makenna Winnicki and Karis Francis broke the pool and conference records for the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:52.49.
- Malia Francis broke the pool, varsity and conference records with a time of 1:56.31 in the 200-yard freestyle. The pool and varsity records had been set by her older sister, Kiah Francis.
- In the 100-yard freestyle, freshman Abi Winnicki set the new conference record with a swim of 53.58 seconds.
- The 200-yard freestyle team of Genna Fugle, Abi Winnicki, Noelle St.Pierre and Malia Francis set the pool and conference records with a time of 1:40.33.
- The final set of records to be reset was in the 400-yard freestyle relay where Genna Fugle, Makenna Winnicki, Abi Winnicki, and Malia Francis broke the pool, varsity and conference records with a time of 3:43.13.
The Hodags won nine of the 11 events and have to wait and see what times make up the conference awards. The team has two weeks of training before sectionals take place to make their run for a state title.
Photos by Bob Mainhardt.