WPS cautions kids, parents about the ‘outlet challenge’
Star Journal Staff
Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) is alerting parents to a new internet dare called the “outlet challenge,” which dares children to drop a coin between an electrical outlet and an electrical plug. According to WPS release, attempting this stunt could damage a building’s electrical system, start a fire or cause serious injury.
Parents are encouraged to remind children of the following electrical safety precautions:
• Never put anything but an electrical plug into a wall socket.
• Don’t overload the socket — one socket, one plug.
• Never pull a plug out by the cord.
• Make sure there are no holes or breaks in extension cords.
• Never put extension cords under carpets or rugs.
• Put plastic covers on unused outlets to protect small children.
• Dry your hands before using any electrical appliance, switch or plug.
• Keep small appliances away from bathtubs or showers.
• Never use your oven or stove to heat your home.
• Install at least one smoke detector on each floor of your home, and in the garage.
• Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher on each floor of your home.
• Follow a space heater’s instructions carefully.
• Devise a fire escape plan and make sure everyone knows it.
• Stay away from meters, electrical boxes and utility poles.