Hunters cautioned to beware of carbon monoxide dangers
As one of Wisconsin’s signature traditions returns, Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) urges deer hunters to thoroghly inspect their cabin’s heating system before heading out into the woods.
Inspecting a hunting cabin’s heating system can help avoid a dangerous or even fatal buildup of carbon monoxide. This invisible, odorless gas is created by improper venting or burning of fuel.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
• A sudden flu-like illness
• Dizziness, headaches or sleepiness
• Cherry-red lis and an unusually pale complexion
• Nausea or vomiting
• A fluttering heartbeat
To prevent a buildup of carbon monoxide, hunters should install carbon monoxide detectors inside their cabins, or check existing detectors to ensure they are working properly. Heating vents should be checked and cleared of any animal nests or debris.
Additionally, hunters who use a portable electric generator should always operate it outdoors to prevent carbon monoxide from accumulating indoors.
WPS also cautions hunters to be aware of power lines and electric distribution equipment near hunting grounds.