Rhinelander city deer hunt begins Sept. 14
Star Journal Staff
A city-wide bow hunt for deer will again take place in Rhinelander. The bow season runs Sept. 14- Jan. 5, but will be closed during the regular gun and muzzle loader season, Nov. 23 through Dec. 11, and on Halloween.
Interested bow hunters must register at city hall by 4:30 p.m., Sept. 13. Application forms will be provided in the city clerk’s office for hunters as well as city landowners who wish to have their property hunted. Permits issued in the city will be for antlerless deer only; antlered deer may only be hunted and harvested if the hunter has a DNR-issued buck tag.
- Bow hunters must have a valid State of Wisconsin bow license and must bring their carcass tag upon applying for the program.
- Hunters and hunting properties that were authorized in past years are not automatically re-registered and those interested in participating have to complete a new application for this year’s hunting season.
- Hunters must agree to a short waiting period after submitting an application to allow the Rhinelander Police Department to perform a criminal background check.
- Upon approval hunters will be admitted to the program.
- All hunters must hunt from a stand elevated at least 6 feet off the ground.
- Hunters must notify city hall within 48 hours of harvesting a deer by calling 715-365-8600.
- Hunters must also register their deer online at gamereg.wi.gov or by phone, 844-426-3734 or 888-936-7463.
- Wild Instincts will take any deer shot and not wanted, 715-490-2727.