Veterans News: Home away from home for vets
All about Milwaukee’s Fisher House
By Tammy Javenkoski
Oneida County CVSO
Did you know there’s a Fisher House located at the VA Medical Center in Milwaukee? The Fisher House provides a home away from home for veterans’ families so they can be with the veteran during extended treatment or hospitalization, free of charge. The Fisher House in Milwaukee is a 13,000 square foot facility with 16 private guest suites. Each room is professionally decorated and beautifully furnished. In addition to private bedrooms with adjoining bathrooms, the house includes a fully-equipped kitchen for families and caregivers to use during their stay. Some food items are donated by the community but guests are encouraged to bring their own food. Private food storage space is provided. Additionally, support staff and volunteers are available to answer any questions guests have.
The house also provides:
• A spacious common dining room
• Inviting family room and living room
• Laundry facilities
• In-room phone and TV/DVD player
• Guest Wifi
Following are the eligibility requirements to stay at the Fisher House:
• Guests must be family members or caregivers of veterans who are hospitalized at the VA Medical Center Milwaukee,
• Guests must live more than 50 miles from the VA Medical Center,
• Guests must be self-sufficient and able to care for themselves independently or be accompanied by a caregiver,
• Guests must be able to stay in an unsupervised setting and follow all house rules.
A VA Social Worker or Case Manager will conduct an initial screening with the veteran to determine if a referral to Fisher House is appropriate. The Fisher House manager will determine eligibility and advise the family on the status of the referral and room availability. Rooms are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
For more information, contact Jennifer Kiefer at 888-469-6614 ext. 45005 or 45006 or email VHAMIWFisherHouse@va.gov.
For more information about how you can help the Milwaukee VA Fisher House, contact the Voluntary Service Office at 888-469-6614 ext. 41803.
Tammy Javenkoski can be reached at 715-369-6127 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Jason Dailey, Assistant CVSO, can be reached at the same number or email@example.com. You can also contact us via Facebook at www.facebook.com/oneidacvso.