First steps to an Oneida County ATV trail to be taken
A request for an ATV trail in Oneida County has DNR officials taking a look at a wildlife area west of Rhinelander.
The public will have an opportunity to review and comment on what activities they would like to be allowed at the Woodboro Lakes Wildlife Area, a 3,600-acre property located 10 miles west of Rhinelander at an upcoming open house and through a public comment period
Department of Natural Resources is initiating master planning efforts for the wildlife area following a request earlier this year from a local all-terrain vehicle club to establish an ATV trail across a portion of the wildlife area.
Woodboro Lakes does not currently have a master plan. DNR staff conducted a trail analysis in response to this request and presented it to the Natural Resources Board for consideration at a meeting in October. The board decided that they would like to consider establishing the ATV trail as part of a comprehensive master plan for the property, and they directed the department to develop a master plan for the wildlife area by the end of 2015.
A public meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2015 from 6-8 p.m. at the Northwoods Community Elementary School, 9086 Co. Hwy. K, Harshaw. The purpose of the meeting:
• Announce the planning process;
• Invite community participation;
• Provide information about the process and the property;
• Receive input about the property’s future direction and any important issues that should be addressed in the master plan.
In the event of bad weather, the meeting will take place on Thursday, Jan. 22 from 6-8 p.m. at the same location. Anyone with an interest in the property is encouraged to attend this meeting. The agenda includes:
• “Open house” format; informational displays will be available and staff will be present for one-on-one questions and discussion from 6-6:30 p.m.;
• Formal presentation providing an overview of the master planning process and the Regional and Property Analysis from 6:30-6:40 p.m.;
• Question-and-answer: staff will take questions from the floor from 6:40-7 p.m.;
• “Open house” format; informational displays will be available and staff will be present for one-on-one questions and discussion from 7-8 p.m.
The draft Regional and Property Analysis, maps, and other background information will be available for viewing at the public meeting. They are also available by searching the DNR website, dnr.wi.gov for “Woodboro master plan”.
The deadline for receiving comments is Friday, Jan. 30, 2015.
For more information, contact Jeremy Holtz, Wildlife Biologist, Rhinelander, 715-365-8999; Yoyi Steele, Planner, Madison, 608-266-8169