Oneida County-Vilas County warming facilities and winter safety tips
The National Weather Service says cold air will begin pouring into Wisconsin Saturday night and into Sunday. The coldest stretch will be Sunday night through Tuesday. Meteorologists are predicting lows Sunday night of -10 to -25 with wind chills at -30 to -40. Monday, highs will reach only -5 to -15 with wind chills remaining in the -30 to -40 danger zone.
Oneida County and Vilas County Emergency Management Departments and Public Health Departments have identified the following facilities that are open for business 24-hours a day/7 days a week in the event, citizens need to seek warmth from the bitter cold.
Trig’s Riverwalk Centre Mall-Seating in Mall Area
Trig’s Mall-Seating in Mall Area
Howard Young Medical Center
Eagle River Area
Trig’s Store-Mezzanine Area
Eagle River Memorial Hospital-Main Entrance
Lac du Flambeau Area
The tribe will be offering two warming centers. The Lake of the Torches Resort Casino will serve as a warming center on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Tribal Natural Resources Building will serve as a warming center on Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
When going outside, alert others of the destination and expected return time. Carry a charged cell phone if possible and watch for slippery conditions.
With these bitter temperatures, beware of hypothermia and frostbite.
Frostbite: can occur on exposed skin in less than 10 minutes. Symptoms include a loss of feeling and a white or pale appearance in fingers, toes, ear tips and tip of the nose. Limit time outside.
Signs of hypothermia: include shivering, exhaustion, confusion, fumbling hands, memory loss, slurred speech and drowsiness in adults and children. In infants, symptoms can include bright red or cold skin and very low energy.
Carbon Monoxide Danger: Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States. Breathing carbon monoxide displaces the oxygen in the blood and can cause death within minutes at high levels. Symptoms of overexposure to carbon monoxide are often mistaken for the flu which includes: headaches, fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath/chest pain, nausea/vomiting, and confusion. If experience any of these symptoms, or if a carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm, head outside immediately for fresh air and call 911.
If any of the above signs appear, seek medical care immediately.
Pet/Livestock Precautions: Animals can suffer from hypothermia, frostbite and other cold weather injuries. It is recommended to bring pets indoors during this bitter weather. Harsh conditions weaken livestock immune systems and open the door to illness. Calves and swine are especially susceptible to cold. Make sure animals have a place to get out of the wind, even if it is just a windbreak or a three-sided shelter. Also provide dry bedding to protect them from frostbite. Additional feeding may be necessary as well as providing access to fresh water – not frozen streams or snow.
On the road: If traveling make sure to have a winter emergency kit including: candles, matches, flashlight, pocket knife, snacks, cell phone adapter, a blanket and extra clothing. Also, check with 511 WI for road conditions.
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.