Spring turkey season opens April 10
Spring wild turkey hunting season begins April 10.
The 2013 spring turkey season will consist of six 7-day time periods. Each time period will begin on a Wednesday and goes to the following Tuesday. The 2013 season closes on May 21.
In total, 234,765 permits were made available for this spring’s hunt. More than 135,000 of those permits were issued in the drawing for the spring 2013 season, leaving just under 100,000 tags available for over-the-counter sale. These permits will be available for purchase until they are sold out or the season ends.
For up-to-date information, look for the “spring turkey leftover permit” link by visiting dnr.wi.gov and searching keyword “turkey.”
Successful turkey hunters can now register their turkey online or by calling (888) 486-8947. No in-person registration stations are available. The phone-in system will only accept touch-tone entries.
Hunters will still have until 5 p.m. on the day after harvest to register their turkey.
It’s important to focus on safety for a successful spring turkey season.
Planning a turkey hunt is critical when two or more hunters are jointly hunting the same area and then agree to separate if the birds are not spotted. The best way to avoid a potentially deadly situation is to have a clear understanding and agreement on the areas each hunter will hunt and to stick to the plan.
DNR statistics show that 80 percent of accidents during turkey hunting seasons involve hunters mistaking other hunters for game, or failing to positively identify their target. The other 20 percent of accidents are self-inflicted, usually the result of violating one of the four firearm safety rules: treat every firearm as if it is loaded, always point the muzzle in a safe direction, be sure of the target and what’s beyond it, and keep the trigger finger outside of the trigger guard until ready to shoot.