Winter weather traffic advisory
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation is alerting all travelers to the hazardous driving conditions they may encounter across the state. High winds of 25 mph are causing poor visibility and large snow drifts in some areas of Wisconsin and many areas are still icy following last night’s freeze.
The combination of these two elements, as well as the potential for additional snow showers in some areas, could prove to be dangerous for some motorists.
Travelers should check winter road conditions before leaving home by calling 5-1-1 or visiting Wisconsin 511 online at 511wi.gov.
Winter driving tips to remember include:
- Leave at least 500 feet of distance between vehicles and snowplows, salt trucks or other vehicles. Drive at a safe and legal speed for conditions.
- Fill gas tanks and carry food, warm blankets and clothing in vehicles in case of emergency.
- Drive alert and sober.
- Always wear seatbelts.
- Carry a fully charged and working cell phone.
- Keep both hands on the wheel while driving.
- Tell others about your travel route and itinerary.
Additional winter driving tips can be found on WisDOTs website.