Free tax counseling offered by AARP
Free income tax assistance will be available for Rhinelander area residents starting Monday, Feb. 4, provided by the American Association of Retired Persons. This service is available to people with low to moderate incomes with special emphasis on serving people ages 60 and over.
The tax counseling service will be offered at the Oneida County Senior Center on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. through April 3.
The services are offered free of charge by volunteer tax aides trained to assist older people. The services rendered will include assisting in or preparation of 2012 federal and state tax forms, and forms for the Wisconsin Homestead Credit.
Tax returns will be electronically filed at no charge.
People intending to use the service will need to bring the following items as appropriate:
• Social Security card and photo ID
• Copies of 2011 federal and state returns (if filed)
• 2012 W-2s, 1099s and any other tax-related documents (i.e., interest and dividend statements, 401K or IRA withdrawals)
• Proof of supplemental Social Security income from Social Security and the state
• Copy of real estate tax statement for 2012 (Note: Bring a copy of the 2011 bill if paid in 2012. If filing for homestead, bring a copy of the 2012 tax bill, even expecting to pay in 2013)
• Know the annual dollar amount paid for your supplemental medical insurance and Medicare Part D Drug Insurance
• Original signed rent certificate from landlord (if renting and filing for homestead credit)
To learn more about the tax service or to make an appointment, call the Oneida County Senior Center at (715) 369-6170.