Letter: Elected officials take heed by Dick and Gail Gumness
Nov. 6 turned out to be the best day of 2012…We were so delighted to have joined the majority of Americans to re-elect President Obama to his second term as the leader of our country.
It ended one of the most highly contested presidential elections in many of our lives. It reinforced our faith in our country’s ability to make intelligent, good and fair judgment when so much was at stake. We did…and now we want to use the next four years to convince Congress that:
1. The war is over between the Democrats and Republicans, the left and the right, because we are saying it is so by our vote.
2. It is past time…you will work together. We are sick of the way politics is played when no one wins or that politics is more important than the citizens of our country.
3. Enough is enough, and these next months may very well be your last chance as an elected congressman/woman to do what must be done: reach across the aisle, roll up your sleeves and behave as adults.
4. We voted Nov. 6 and sent you a clear mandate: Stop holding the middle class hostage to give tax cuts to the wealthiest 2 percent. That would be immoral, selfish, arrogant, plain stupid and solve absolutely nothing.
5. We are demanding fairness and progress from every single one of you…and we will be watching your every move.
6. Here’s the choice: We choose to be a country where all of us pay our fair share or we will be a country of the very rich and then the rest of us. Which do you think will work best for everyone???
One more observation: Stop wasting time on things, like Sen. McCain just can’t stop doing. He and others are wasting their energy and ours with this behavior.
We expect you to work hard to respond to the voters: We want economic fairness. We want a healthy economy, jobs, good education for all our kids, health care for all our citizens, Medicare, Social Security, tax reform and immigration reform, and we expect to work our hardest to ensure this is the reality. Remember, you are also working for us. Here’s the question: Congress, are you up for the job?
Members of Congress, know this: we are going to hold you accountable for your time in Washington. Spend it well.
Dick and Gail Gumness, Woodruff