Fun contests to highlight festivities at 2012 Oneida County Fair
The Oneida County Fair opens Aug. 2nd and runs through the 5th at Pioneer Park in Rhinelander. Bring the family and let your inner Olympic spirit come out at the Oneida County Fair with good fun and healthy competition. Fun contests are scheduled for any and all ages to enter to win prizes, trophies, fame and recognition.
• For the kids at “Familyland” Friday, the first Annual Pedal Pulls contest begins at 11 a.m. Youngsters compete in age categories to see who can pedal the tractor the farthest with the most weight. Register on site starting at 10 a.m. In addition, the 2nd annual Oneida County Fair Popsicle Eating Contest for kids will be held at 4 p.m. on Saturday. For more information, call Patricia Mandli at (715) 369-3721.
• For the older crowd at the “Senior Pavilion”, Friday we will have a Cribbage Tournament at 1 p.m. sponsored by Friendly Village/Taylor Park, Grace Lodge Assisted Living, Milestone Senior Living, Oneida County Dept. on Aging and the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Bingo will be held on Saturday at 1 p.m., sponsored by the Oneida County Senior Center. For more information, call Stephanie Schroeder at (715) 369-6170.
• At the new area ” Hungry Hollow,” it’s all about the food! Contests include potato carving, cow pie decorating, delightful veggie cook off and a spirited “grill off.” For more information, call Bev Nichols at (715) 369-3323.
• “Green Acres” is the place to be. Forth Floral will again sponsor a Floral Container contest with prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers. New this year will be a Most Unusual Floral Container contest, sponsored by Hanson’s Garden Village. Prizes will be awarded to the top three containers. Containers need to be dropped off on Wednesday, Aug. 1 at the Fair office between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. Containers will be watered daily by fair staff and need to be picked up after 3 p.m. on Sunday, the last day of the fair. Help decorate the Fairgrounds! For more information, call Julie Holperin at (715) 282-5300. Also part of the Green Acres area will include a Green Acres Tent. Come in and ask “The Experts” your questions on gardening in the Northwoods on Friday and Saturday.
• “Animal Alley” goes to the dogs. On Friday evening at the “Action Arena” animal folks will parade the dog breeds for fun. No competition. Just bring your pooch to show off. Registration is at 5:30, and the parade begins at 6 p.m. For more information, call Carol Lofquist at (715) 453-8101.
• “Racing of the Hounds” On Sunday it’s the annual “Racing of the Hounds.” Bring your Doxie to compete in the “Pat Dineen Memorial Doxie Dash.” Registration begins at 10:30 a.m., with races at 11. For more information, call Michelle Wich at (715) 282-6233.
• Daily “Chucking of the Chickens” at the Information Gazebo. Each day we will bring rubber chickens to see who can chuck one the farthest. It’s a matter of pride and popularity, don’t you know? For more information, call Tina Werres at (715) 499-3002.
• Water Water Everywhere. On Sunday the Action Arena hosts the annual County Volunteer Fire Department Water Wars to determine which department in our county is the best with the hose. Cheer on the township of your choice. For more information, call Brent Sundby at (715) 362-8550 or Brian Gehrig at (715) 362-5684.
For more information on the 2012 Oneida County Fair, visit oneidacountyfairwi.com.